Lifesaving Activities started in South Africa in 1913 after a visit by the secretary of the Royal Lifesaving Society (RLSS), sir William Henry. After a visit to the Cape in 1922, sir William Henry introduced lifesaving in the Western Cape.
In 1927 the first Lifesaving clubs were formed in Natal and in 1928 two reels with 500 yards of line and cork belts were sent out from the Australian Bondi club to be used on Cape Beaches. These were placed in the custody of the False Bay Swimming and Lifesaving Club and the Fish Hoek sports club.
In 1930 Pirates Life Saving Club was founded and originally patrolled Llandudno and Clifton beaches with 5 reels. In 1931 there were 3 recognised clubs in the Western Cape – Pirates L.S.C, False Bay L.S.C and Alpha L.S.C, a coloured club stationed at Camps Bay. The first competitions were held at Strand and Muizenberg beach in the summer of 1934/35.
Lifesaving in South Africa has continued under many banners for the last 90 years, however, in 2002 the Surf Lifesaving Association of South Africa (SLASA) and the South African Surf Lifesaving Union (SASLU) unified into one body and formed Lifesaving South Africa. In a similar fashion, all member bodies in the respective regions unified and a new Western Province Lifesaving Association was born. In 2007 the association changed their name to Lifesaving Western Province to come in line with LSA.
Today LWP has 14 affiliated lifesaving clubs, 4 Stillwater clubs, and 1o Surf Lifesaving clubs. We currently provide a volunteer lifeguarding service to the communities of Cape Town and the thousands of tourists that enjoy our beaches! Our lifeguards constantly strive to uphold the motto of Lifesaving South Africa – “Vigilance and Service”.